By 2050 the Dutch government aims to reduce greenhouse emissions by 95% compared to 1990 figures. The Hague sets ambitious goals to become carbon neutral by 2030 and achieve a net-zero carbon footprint 20 years ahead of the whole of the Netherlands. As the energy sector is undergoing a radical transformation towards a zero-carbon future, The Hague is rapidly developing into an internationally leading centre of “new energy” activities.
New Energy covers electricity and heat generating industries such as (offshore) wind, solar, marine and geothermal. It, however, is much more than that. It relates to all sustainable solutions that lead to a lower carbon footprint. Think of hydrogen, energy storage, electrification, carbon storage, cleantech, but also digitalisation and much more. The Hague offers a perfect landscape for companies in new energy to flourish.
High resolution Energy Region Map can be downloaded here
Interview with Britta Schaffmeister, the CEO of Dutch Marine Energy Centre is talking about her diving passion, energy grid and opportunities for marine energy sector at Campus@Sea in The Hague.
- Read latest interview with S. Bruines, Deputy Mayor, where she talks about why The Hague is the place to be for impact entrepreneurs.
- Read about Solar Monkey start up in The Hague and why they chose this city.
- Read about Siemens Gamesa, a leader in the renewable energy based in The Hague.
- ASN bank - The global revolution in climate finance started in The Hague.
The Hague region has a great track record in the energy sector. It is home to numerous companies operating in the energy industry, including Total, Siemens Gamesa, Orsted, Wintershall, Shell, Aramco Overseas and Neptune Energy. Several large global engineering companies and service providers, such as McDermott, Worley, Jacobs, TNO, Tebodin, Schlumberger and Technip, are based in the city too. Besides these larger firms young innovative companies are continuously joining The Hague’s energy ecosystem.
- Rijswijk Centre for sustainable geo energy: lab that has been designed with the purpose of experimenting with new drilling techniques or materials
- PosHYdon: A pilot that aims to integrate three energy systems in the North Sea: offshore wind, offshore gas and offshore hydrogen by producing hydrogen from seawater on its Q13-a platform in the Dutch North Sea. A global novelty.
- Shell New Energies Division: Division that explores fresh commercial models focused on the world’s energy transition and on new fuels and power.
- Port of Scheveningen: Centrally located on the Dutch coast, only 12 km away from the North Sea Innovation Lab and home to Campus@Sea.
The Hague has always been a strategic option for energy companies, being in close proximity to the Dutch government, knowledge and research institutes, trade associations and of course the industry. The port of Rotterdam and international airport Schiphol are both within 45 minutes reach, making it a central location on a geographical point of view as well. For these reasons many companies decide to manage their EMEA and/ or global activities from their The Hague office.
Start- and scale up support
For young enterprises with innovative solutions The Hague can offer a number of initiatives to help these companies reach the next level. ImpactCity, for instance, creates an optimal climate in The Hague in which ‘impact makers’ are in pole position to tackle global challenges. They help start- and scale up companies with service, housing and financing. There is also a variety of incubators including YES!Delft, World Startup and the Buccaneer.
Our strategic partners
The municipality as well several key partners play a vital role in linking companies with important local and national partners:
- Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy
- Association of Dutch Suppliers in the Oil and Gas Industry (IRO)
- Netherlands Wind Energy Association (NWEA)
- The Netherlands Oil and Gas Exploration and Production Association (NOGEPA)
- The Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research (TNO)
- Delft University of Technology
- Platform Geothermie
- Dutch Association Geothermal Operators (DAGO)
Visit our service page to learn how we can help you settle your company in The Hague.
Check out latest GEOTHERMAL event - EXPERIENCE GEOTHERMAL THE HAGUE